21 January 2009

Exciting week


Last Saturday I went to the joint birthday party for Julius, Ellery, and her daughter Jovanni. I spent a lot of the time in Randy's room hanging with him and Fae, and watching Da Ali G Movie. After that I went out and hung out with the old people (they're my friends too), dancing and eating--"breakfast" was served just after midnight, and was what would normally be a weekend lunch spread. There was cake, and of course plenty to drink throughout the night. It was a great time, overall.

Earlier that afternoon I also got a package from my dad--a framed picture I gave to him a long time ago, and some Godiva chocolate bars. Packages are always very exciting :)

On Sunday I went to the movies with Fae, Randy, and a couple of his coworkers. It was a long trek up there, with waiting for people to get ready at each part (even I was a few minutes late getting to Fae's, but that wasn't much of a problem for anyone, since Randy wasn't ready for another half hour or so). We watched Transporter 3 (I've seen the first one, and I guess there was a second?). The experience was pretty much exactly like going to a theater in the States, except that the hot dog I had was actually good (and the bun, especially). Unfortunately, the movie was at 7, so I didn't get back until late, so for two nights in a row I ended up only getting a few hours of sleep. This week I still haven't been able to catch up on it yet, but perhaps tonight.

Today was exciting because I met with Sister Mary, a nun who works assisting schools all over the south and west of the island. Luckily for me, she lives in the convent here in Vieux Fort, and what's more, she wants to start an afterschool program! So today we met and talked about what we expect out of it, who and what we'll need, and we'll meet again on Monday. I'm really glad she's here, since this is something I've been wanting to do but have been feeling too stretched between three schools all week to get some time to really get it going. Her goal is to have it running by mid-February, which is a tall order, but I'll do my best to make sure it happens.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, been awhile! Found your blog after bouncing through some of the other EC78s. ^_^

Sounds like you're having a good time. Yeah, I don't think you missed much having skipped Transporter 2 and packages are always more fun when they are a mystery box! Good times.

Hope all is well on your island. ciao