11 March 2009

Chocolate Dipped Banana Fritters

Berney sent me a food challenge in his Valentine's Day/Birthday package to me. There was a bag of sausage-flavoured croutons and some nice air-filled milk chocolate. I was instructed to make something with both of them, so here are the results.

Adapted from the PC EC Cookbook--I reduced the portions, and sort of didn't know what I was doing when it came to frying. Next time I make them, I won't have the oil so hot because many of them blackened but were still gooey on the inside. It was even more of an adventure, since I had never deep fried before.

Ingredients (scaled down for just me)
1 small ripe banana
3/4 tsp sugar
dash cinnamon
about 1/3 of 1 beaten egg
dash vanilla essence
1/8 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
oil for deep frying
2 Tbsp milk chocolate, chopped
1 Tbsp crouton crumbs

Directions


If you really want to know the specifics of directions, let me know and I'll post them. I think this should be enough for now, though.

The results were that the sausage flavoured crouton crumbs were a little overwhelming, so I'm glad I only made 3 or 4 of the fritters with them. I was inspired by a pancake breakfast the day before. I remembered how I like to sop up some of the syrup from pancakes with my sausage when I have them together (oh dining hall how I miss you), and so combining breakfasty flavours was my goal. It sort of worked, though the chocolate-only fritters were better tasting.

I think next time I make them, I might omit the sugar altogether, since bananas are pretty dang sweet by themselves. Then it'll be a breakfast-worthy concoction :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the pics look great! I'm not sure if I would have included the sausage flavored crouton part--being a veg guy and all....

Something that might be a bit easier with nearly the same ingredients would be a banana pancake. ^_^ I make them frequently and never really made pancakes before PC service. They are totally easy. I guessed the amounts to use since I don't have any measuring cups/spoons.

Flour, water, ripe mashed bananas, eggs, a bit of vanilla essence and cinnamon, and luck. ^_^ Tasty!