12 July 2009

July, a month of work and celebration

School ended either last Friday or the Friday before, depending on who you are. For me it ended July 3rd, but there are several projects I have to work on organizing regarding school. Another work day to be scheduled, a meeting this week to discuss the afterschool program at Vieux-Fort Primary next year, perhaps a summer camp with the Lions preschool.

In addition to school projects, I've been working on Barrier Analysis interviews in Soufriere and I'll go to Dennery tomorrow to do the same. We're very nearly done with this stage, so analysis is next. That's the exciting part for me. This week I'm also helping out at a summer camp for disabled children.

Of course, you cah have July without fun! Last weekend of course was 4th of July, so 4 PCV cohort groups got together with staff at our Country Director's house for a party.

EC77, 78, and 79 represent, but also EC2! Peace Corps who served here 40 years ago came for a reunion, and we got to learn from each other about how St. Lucia and our service has changed over the decades.

And of course plenty of food!

The next day was Jess's birthday, so she organized a great camping trip. We got to stay in this nice roofed pavillion looking out to the sea.

Andy resuscitated the fire to make homemade pizzas and smores--with graham crackers and Hershey's chocolate (a rare find here)!

On Wednesday I joined Sam and his family, along with Eric, Jeff, and Fae, to tour the brewery down the road from my house. It was pretty neat, and I got a free shirt (plus drinks of course)!

Within the next week and a half I'm looking forward to going to different Carnival events! I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures.

2 comments:

Kate said...

There's so much going on there for you! Sounds really busy. Have fun with the analysis, that sounds incredibly interesting. Camping looks like it was amazing, especially with those views. How was the beer at the brewery?

Adventure Melaney! said...

I wasn't drinking the beer there. St Lucia is already pretty limited in the types of beers that are here, and the only kinds that this brewery makes are Guinness, Heineken, and the local Piton (a non-interesting pilsner, the beer I drink most often since it's the cheapest). They also make 4 flavors of Shandy (juice and beer mix, less than 2% alcohol), so the first round I had a ginger Shandy, which is delicious. Later I tried the new Rooster, a sweet malt beverage of 6% alcohol. That kind is sweeter than even their Malta (non alc), so it's in the genre of Smirnoff Ice kinda single malts--but it's great, it's being marketed specifically at men.