25 September 2008

Adventures in Vieux Fort

On Sunday I walked with Randy (easier to say than fwe mwen) and Fay around the neighborhood some more, and up the hill. Here are a couple pics.

This is a view of Vieux Fort Proper (downtown) from the hill. The peninsula is the very southern tip of the island. On the field is the airport runway--if you ever visit me (unless you're coming from another Caribbean island) this is where you'll be coming in.

A view of my current neighborhood. As you can see, between the time I took the first pic and the second, clouds had started moving in on us. In the distance you can see Petit Piton, sticking up like a thumb from behind the hills. If you look close, to the left of that, behind the closer hill, Gros Piton is kind of visible (dang clouds!).

There's a water tank at the top of the hill. Hey there's me! Or is it my reflection? Or did the reflection take the picture??

At the very top of the hill (through the bush from where the water tank is) is a radio tower or something. There's also something that looks kinda like solar panels (not pictured) but it all seemed kind of old and defunct. Fay said that's on of the political party's flags. Must have been from quite a while ago, since it's so tattered.
On Tuesday I interned again in a Grade 4 class in VF Primary, and it went pretty well. I started working with a couple boys on basic math. After school got out, I was walking to the bus stand, and a little girl and her friend started talking and walking with me. She said she saw me at school, and both children told me about how they did in school and which class they were in and whether the teacher liked them or not. We got on different buses, but we waved at each other when their bus pulled out of the stand first. I wish I could talk to people like that.

Today is pretty much (well tonight, around midnight or later, but whatever) the one year anniversary of my relationship with Berney. We just talked for about an hour, and of course we miss one another terribly. I know it will be one of the hardest challenges I face while I'm down here. But we've both done LDRs before, and we know how to make them work if we want it to work. Of course, I spend lots of time thinking about all the cool things Bern and I can do when he comes to visit, and maybe if I'm lucky I can visit him in Russia at some point. At some point I need to toast to it, but I'm not sure when would be best. Maybe tomorrow afternoon. And I can toast to Diana's birthday tomorrow, too.

I have a shadowing assignment today at the Special Education School in VF, and after that (depending on how long I'm there) I might go to meet with some of the parents of students I'm working with in the internship. Manman is going to Castries today for a meeting, so there's a good chance I'll be on my own until the evening, so maybe I'll get to explore some of the shops in VF. There are many I've been meaning to just go in and poke around, get to know what's available (and what's not) in this place.

No comments: