27 September 2008

Limin'

Yesterday we had mid-training interviews with the APCD. Everything went pretty well, though of course she wants me to talk more. I don't like people telling me that, because it's just how I am. It's not a danger to me or anyone else, it doesn't hurt anyone, and it makes things more efficient to have one less person voicing any thought that comes to mind. It's like telling an adult to be taller. It's not going to happen. I wish I were more outgoing, and I've tried to be, but it doesn't work.

Afterwards, Kelli and I had planned to go to the beach here in Vieux Fort, but it was very rainy by the time we got in. So instead we found a little place to have ice cream and beer. Single scoop of peanut butter vanilla swirl on a cone and a Piton for $3.50EC? Sounds good to me. A trip to S&S to get some flipflops for Kelli, and home again through the rain.

Last night Manman took me to Cozy Corner, a bar around the block, to hear a local folk band play.

It was fun. It was a little awkward sometimes, as you might imagine it would be if you were one of two women patrons in a place with many drunken men. But the music was good. I had rum (Crystal White) & Coke, and later the owner (who knows Manman) offered us drinks on the house. Manman had a Malta, and I was offered a Shandy, which is "A refreshing blend of lager beer and ginger," with a low alcohol content. It was pretty tasty--at first it tasted like cider, but after a bit I realized the ginger was a little bitey and each sip after that tingled on my lips and tongue.

:( i tried uploading video but it's not working. The sound on the video is horrible anyways, so oh well.

There was one guy dancing was doing so all night long, sometimes dancing with Manman, sometimes with another man. Another guy kept shouting "Waya waya waya!" to speed up the tempo. He was also a very good dancer, but only danced to one song when he came in. None of the young men danced last night, and none of the other women (but they all worked there, so that's ok).

No comments: