05 September 2008

Drafted on Thursday, 9/4/08

I shouldn't be allowed to read/listen/watch anything about food when I don't have a kitchen of my own to work with. I listened to three food podcasts in a row. Then I went to the kitchen. I ended up making a sort of grilled cheese sandwich, the first time I've actually made one myself. Wheat bread, mustard, sweet-hot (not very hot) peppers, american cheese, baloney (that had been sitting in the frying pan, covered, since this morning), american cheese, two pieces of lettuce, ketchup. I fried it in the grease from the baloney. It was alright, not enough meat, not enough flavor of anything....I'm sad because I don't have control over the food available in the kitchen, and many of the things that are available aren't for me to use. The women here are kind of possessive of their kitchens--they do almost all of the cooking and cleaning in most cases. My host mom today finally told me, "You can use anything you like in here. Make yourself at home." This is Thursday, now, so I've been here almost a week. But, of course, I don't feel comfortable making lunch (the biggest meal of the day), so it's either breakfast or a snack (or dinner which is a slightly larger snack). I followed up dinner with some crappy-and-bad-for-you cookies (they were the cheap ones at the store, and I picked them out, so eh) and some fresh, ripe star fruit. Here it's called five-finger. It's an interesting fruit--it tastes a lot like a pear or a golden delicious apple, but it feels citrus-y like an orange. It's only mildly sweet, even when it's ripe, but so acidic that it was burning my mouth a tiny bit for a couple minutes after eating a few slices. btw, you eat the skin, just not the seeds, so you can slice it or just bite into it. It's more fun to eat slices, I think.


Yesterday I went to meet my "point person," my main contact for my site/work assignment. He's the district education officer for this part of the island. So apparently I'll be focusing mainly on remedial education for lower grade levels--infant and primary schools. The former includes K-2, the latter grades 3-6. Working with kids directly and maybe trying to train teachers insofar as addressing the difficulties of working with "mixed ability" classrooms--pretty much what most schools in the States are, with bright, average, and slow children all under one teacher. I'll be working initially with these two schools down in Vieux Fort, and the district ed officer might decide to give me another school to work with. In addition, I may have a chance to work on arts & crafts in the schools, and there may be a need for me to do simple IT instruction in the primary school. That's kinda scary, considering how little I know about these magical boxes called computers, but I know how to use word processors and how to use the web beyond email, pictures, and games--but more importantly I have (some) experience showing kids how to use these things.

OH I had a dream on Wednesday morning. It was kinda funny. I was in a classroom, and there was a kid in front of me, who was showing the class and the teacher this starfish that he was trying to cut out, but couldn't quite get it right. So the teacher--who was SAMUEL L. JACKSON!--was admonishing him for being a poor math student. And part of that scolding included something about Melaney Parker being a very good math student. And everyone in the class agreed and looked at me, and in the dream I was embarrassed and my face was blushing, so I put my hand up to my cheek to hide my red face--and then I woke up, realizing that my face actually did feel weird, and I had a small mosquito bite on my cheek where I put my hand. In addition, there was a HUGE bite on my forehead, about 1" high and 2" across, and there was a similarly sized one on my shoulder. :( I was puzzled, since I have the mosquito net up, but I looked and there was a small opening between the flaps, probably from the fan blowing on it.

OK THAT'S IT

2 comments:

Vick said...

And we think we have bad mosquitos!How are supplies for the schools there? Are they well funded? Sounds pretty challenging, yet fun. Hang in there--vicki

Adventure Melaney! said...

look for a new post on this very topic--today or tomorrow!