18 February 2009

The sweet smell of petrol...

...may be stopped for a while soon.

Actually, it's sort of exciting and very annoying at the same time. The country's petrol dealers may go on strike starting Friday, because they couldn't reach an agreement with the government, which currently controls the price of gas.



I'm wondering if us PCVs will be called to consolidate, so I might get things together in a bag just in case. I'll definitely be stocking up on food tomorrow while I'm in town, although I may need to stick with foods that don't need to be cooked on the stove, since I'm almost out of kerosene. In order to get kerosene, I need to go into town with the empty tank, exchange and pay for a full tank, which weighs around 30 lbs (actually I have no idea how much it weighs--but it's a lot to carry). If there's no transport, I can't get a new tank of kerosene, and I can't get a full tank without an empty one to exchange it.

Now I'm really wishing I had bought a coal pot already.

Edit: I forgot to mention, there's an ecumenical service at the Catholic church in town tomorrow morning in preparation for Independence Day this Sunday. I'm sort of excited about that, too.

No comments: