28 October 2008

Jounen Kweyol

Sunday was Jounen Kweyol (Creole Day). It's an international celebration of Creole language and cultures, so everyone here dresses up in the traditional madras plaid patterns, white cloth, and red ribbons (or in floral patterns if they don't have madras). Last week Manman took me to get fitted for a dress, so I wore that and had my hair cornrowed for the day. "We're going to Creolize you!" she said.
In the morning we went to the Catholic church in Vieux Fort town for Mass. I was actually a little disappointed that it wasn't all in Kweyol, but the priest is Indian (as opposed to West Indian) and doesn't speak it fluently I think. But it was nice.

I went to Sunday lunch with Manman, and Ellery (a friend from down the road, who works at one of the schools I'm involved with) came over and did my hair. She also sewed a sash for me, since the dress was more of a frock and it needed some shape.
Manman and I went over to a little block party where Julius had gone. I had black pudding for the first time, and it was better than I thought it would be but I tasted it in my mouth for about an hour afterwards. It also has a weird texture.

Julius drove us to Micoud Village, one of the four communities around the island hosting Jounen Kweyol celebrations. It was filled with people, music, food, drinks, displays of old things like pots and pans and stuff. There was a stage by the Temple of Saint Lucia, and when we first went by there a dance performance was going on.
I feel like I'm really becoming a part of the community. Kids call out "Miss!" to me all the time, and most of them I don't recognize because I haven't worked with them, but they most certainly recognize me. I took some of my golden apple oatmeal biscuits yesterday to the Infant School (PreK-Grade 2) for Ellery and Manman, and Manman's sister Eugenia came by to give me some baked goods. More and more I know the people that pass. It's been very nice lately.

Actually it's been pretty hot lately. When I first had my hair cornrowed I had to take some aspirin when I got home because my head hurt, but now I'm glad I don't have to worry about putting it up in a bun in the mornings. Actually, I went out and bought a little kerchief to wrap my hair in while I sleep, and its nice because it keeps all the hair off my neck so I'm not so hot.

No comments: