06 October 2008

nothing doing

I've been meaning to post a few times already, but somehow haven't gotten around to it. That means this will be an extra long post. Subtitled for clarity!

Shadowing and the Beach
On Thursday I went to Laborie to shadow Eric, a volunteer who's been here a year already. He works at the Boys' School, so it was helpful to hear from him advice about getting projects started. He said that if I have a really good idea, I should keep trying for it, even if I meet resistance from people who don't want to change the way things are already done.

At the school, I helped some kids read and complete verbal worksheets. Eric does remedial reading, and I felt right at home. After lunch a bunch of boys came in for their chess tournaments. I checked in on games to make sure kids were playing the rules, and to give constructive suggestions to those who needed it (as in, "Where can you put that one so that he can't get to it?") Then I played a game against a boy who had finished early. It was like being at Sue's again!

The boys had a sort of half day, so at 1 we started heading back to Vieux Fort to go to Sandy Beach with some other volunteers.We hung out, swam around a bit (the water was warm and the day was beautiful), and bought a couple coconuts from a guy walking around selling coconuts. As you can see, Jess didn't really like hers (the rest of us had to finish it) but Nina did!

Boring Saturday
I haven't really done a lot to speak of this weekend, which is especially sad since it's a three day weekend. I spent a lot of time researching for a water safety thing Kelli and I will present tomorrow. But it's OK because I got to draw sea creatures, and learn more about them! :)

Saturday night Randy and I went over to Fay's house for a movie night. I met some people around my age, but since it was a movie night there wasn't much talking. We watched a "preview" that Fay filmed herself (it was hilariously ridiculous) and Mind Hunters. The movie wasn't great, but to its credit I was surprised by the ending. I guess I haven't been watching enough mysteries (movies or TV shows) lately; I've lost that edge. That ended up being the only thing we watched, since Fay had another party to go to. She kicked us out at 10:30. I was up until 11:30 or maybe even midnight reading. Wow. I slept in until 7:30 the next morning. Yes, you read that right.

Walking
Yesterday I went with Manman, Eugenia (her sister), and Theo (a friend) to visit a relative who is sick. We walked from Campus A up the road in Moulez-a-chique to the house, then walked from there all the way home. I have no idea how far it was, but it took about 1 hour 20 minutes to get back. It was a good walk. It was nice and cool, BUT that was because it was dark! There's a stretch of the Vieux Fort - Laborie highway (that we were walking along) outside of town that is absolutely not lit at all. We could barely see where we were stepping, unless a car was passing us. Other than not being able to see, it was a nice walk.

Thanksgiving
Today I have the day off, since it is Thanksgiving. Nothing really special about this day, everyone celebrates in their own little way. We didn't go out at all or anything, though some people go to the beach or have cookouts or things like that. But Manman did make cocoa tea with dumplings (absolutely delicious, but I will postpone putting up the recipe until I can make it on my own, and it'll be personalized) for breakfast (edit: and dinner!), and saltfish and breadfruit for lunch. Delicious!

Tomorrow or sometime soon I will post Things That Sting And Bite And Stuff. Look forward to MelaneyArtz!

No comments: