07 October 2008

Things that STING and BITE and STUFF!

As promised, here are the pictures I drew for the presentation today. Ours was probably the longest presentation, but people enjoyed it because of the pictures we both drew and because it was mildly interactive. I gave each person an animal, and everyone had to figure out what it was called, and each person put theirs under the labels "Poisonous" or "Non-posionous." Only a couple people guessed wrong, but theirs were difficult animals that aren't obviously poisonous.

Click on the pics for bigger images!

Phylum Osteicthyes (fish!) (Clockwise from top left): stingray, sea catfish, caribbean reef shark, moray eel, stonefish, lionfish.

Phylum Cnidaria (except Portuguese man-of-war, which is pictured later): sea lice (which are really like baby jellies), sea anemone, box jellyfish, fire coral (which isn't true coral, obviously if it's in this phylum).

Phylum Molluska (shellfish!): cone shell, caribbean reef octopus.

Other Phyla ('cept as noted above): Cnidaria: Portuguese man-of-war; Echinodermata: crown-of-thorns starfish, black sea urchin; Annelida: fireworm; Arthropoda: crab!

I had so much fun drawing these. I brought them home with me too, and I will decorate my house with them when I move!

2 comments:

Kate said...

They look great!

Unknown said...

hey. the octopod looks anatomically correct. good job!